On the other hand, yesterday was a stellar day!
Lily and I met a new Freedom Dogs trainer in Balboa Park for a mentoring session. It was early (9AM) and we met in a relatively quiet part of the park. Minimal distractions. We worked beside our cars in a parking lot.
Part of my training plan was to work on Stay in the Open Car Zen with Lily while I worked with the trainer and her dog. Not leaving the car unless invited. And remaining there quietly, no verbalizing.
We worked for almost two hours. I didn't put a leash on Lily the entire time.
Sometimes I handled the other dog. Sometimes we were playing The Come Game (with the verbal "Puppy! Puppy! Puppy!" encouragements). All within spitting distance of Lily in my car.
Sometimes I called Lily to come to demonstrate a behavior (off leash, of course). Sometimes Lily worked with me, sometimes with the other trainer. Then I would send her back into the car with a single word.
Sometimes I asked Lily to Go to Mat while the other trainer, her dog and I were a mere few feet away.
"It is not my job to control my dog. It is her job to control herself". And she did. Perfectly.
The next event of our day.......a visit to the doctor.
Mine was the first appointment of the afternoon and we arrived early, so waited in a chair beside the elevator for the staff to arrive and open the office door for us.
Lily was at her vested best on a perfectly positioned Down beside my chair as Fifth Floor traffic entered and exited the elevator .... everyone exclaiming and admiring Miss Lily.
"No, please don't pet her. She is working".
Perfect public manners.
Perfect Go to Mat under the chair in the examining room. Miss Manners couldn't have asked for better.
Our third stop of the day. A trip to the vet.
Lazy, lazy leash. Waiting on a lovely Down in a busy waiting room. Standing quietly to have her temperature taken.
"It is my job to help my dog understand that Zen is not a behavior, but a way of life".