Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year and New Resolve


"It is not my job to control my dog. It is her job to control herself."

I am going to spend the remainder of this month reminding Lily that when she is wearing her vest she has a job to do. So yesterday Lily and I took a Field Trip to the Navy Exchange. Vested. In training mode.

And something new. I put Shayla's original airline crate in the car and Lily rode in the crate, instead of her car harness. Open back end of the SUV and cue, "House". In she goes. End of story. But it's very difficult to see out the back, so I don't know if this will become a permanent change.

We practiced Parking Lot Zen, default Pick Up the Dropped Leash While Walking Zen, Left Side and Right Side SDW, Ignore Passing People Zen and See the Dog in the Plate Glass Zen. Just run of the mill public manners. It was a training session. I had treats and I had a plan. And Lily was reminded about self-control. Lily was reminded that she has a job. And I was reminded of the difference between training a behavior and training a concept.

Then we spent HOURS in my office, Lily curled up on her mat sleeping. Not cued and not vested. Today she will wear her vest while I work.

The more I remain aware of this "job" attitude, the more I see. I am going to approach all of Lily's training/behavior (vested and unvested) as her doing her job. Lying quietly on the mat while I prepare her meals (I've timed it: 2 minutes), more OOS work, eliminating ANY verbalizing (where has THAT come from?). Time to put Miss Pink In the Dance.

Ah, Lily, can it be? Have you become a teenager?

Or have I become complacent?