Friday, January 8, 2010

Gotcha!



"Once is a mistake. Twice is a trend. Three times is a problem".


In my house, dogs are not allowed in the kitchen.

Sweet, gentle Shayla has understood that from Day 1. Even in my pre-Levels days, I knew to set THAT limit from the very beginning. It has always been a family rule through generations of dogs.

When Lily came into my life and into our home, Shayla wasn't particularly happy to see her and seemed to be counting the days until she moved on. She tolerated Lily. But she didn't set limits!

So, following Stitch's Blog to the letter as I did, some of Lily's training took place in my kitchen....partly because "that's how Sue did it" and partly to train eye contact without Shayla's interference. And, wow, did Lily ever have great eye contact!

BUT

She was in the kitchen! Not only that, she had been invited in. Repeatedly. And I have been fighting the Battle of the Kitchen ever since.

New puppy owners take notice! Know your limits and establish them from the get go or struggle the remainder of your dogs life.

"It is my job to help my dog understand that Zen is not a behavior, but a way of life. Zen is about setting limits for the dog to understand".


I hear you. I hear you. And Lily knows the Kitchen Rule ... when I'm in the kitchen or within view of the kitchen. And most of the rest of the time, as far as I know.

But then there are moments like this morning. Hmmm, Miss Lily, I wonder where you've been!

It's the same theme, isn't it? Self-control. Zen. The foundation of civilization. And consistency.

"It's not my job to control my dog. It's her job to control herself."

Looks like we still have a way to go!