Friday, December 2, 2011

"Default"

At four years old, I am looking at Lily's "default" behaviors. Some people call them manners. Others call them life. What they really are are expectations. What do I expect to be an inherent part of Lily's behavior?

I expect her to stay out of the kitchen.
I expect her to not beg at the table.
I expect her to walk with a loose leash.
I expect her to be quiet in the car.

I expect her to respond to cues in any situation.
I expect her to exhibit self control when leashed and around other dogs.
I expect her to respect Shayla's food bowl.

I expect her to come when called.
I expect her to have car enter/exit manners.

I want her to respond to the person at the other end of her leash.
I want her to be comfortable when I am out of sight.

Making a list of expectations and desires from time to time is an opportunity to evaluate where we are and what needs to be reviewed.

Where we run into trouble is when I become inconsistent with my expectations.


Houseguests are an occurence in our house. And guests bring more than their belongings in their suitcase. They bring a plethora of new and different distractions into my dogs' world.

How to train for these rare and unexpected challenges?

Zen. Zen. And more Zen. Stay Out of the Room Zen? or Mind Your Own Business Zen? Stay Out of the Wastebasket Zen? So many Zens. Teaching Company Manners when company is a rare and unique occurence.

Time to think on these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment