Friday, March 19, 2010

Why re-invent the wheel?

      
I have three friends who do wonderfully thorough research.  One is a real estate agent in Colorado.  One a life long Air Force friend in Georgia.  The other is a retired librarian in California.

They are thorough, innovative and creative women.  Without hesitation, I would trust their work and the subsequent conclusions even more than I trust my own.  And I frequently follow their guidance.

Why re-invent the wheel?

Right now there is a great discussion on the TrainingLevels list about jackpots.  I am following it with interest.  I am always open to new and different ideas.

But when it comes to Lily's training, I go to the source.  If the Levels say, "Jump!"  I ask, "How high?"  On those rare occasions when I have taken a shortcut, I have ended up at some future point, re-teaching. Ah, Lily's famous "Sit"!  Now I am watching a fellow FD trainer re-teaching Left Side/Right Side.

"How high, Sue?  How high?"


I am CPDT.  It is time to renew.  I have an opportunity for a scholarship to take the KPA course.  I have decided to decline both.

I am at home with the Levels.  With Steps to Service.  And with the "new and improved" Levels, whenever they become available.


I have seen Scuba.  I have seen Stitch.  And I have seen Lily.  She is everything I could wish for.


I have a new friend, a dog trainer, who claims to be a recovering "I train to the letter of the law" trainer.  I respect her approach, but I have "been there, done that" in my dog training life.......reading and watching, taking a little bit of this and some of that....... and I LOVE being a "letter of the law" LEVELS trainer!

And the more I see, the better I understand, the happier I am.


Even within the Levels community there are differences in interpretation.


Simply said, I LOVE the Levels.  And not a day passes, that I don't thank my lucky stars for my Levels trained Lily.

Thank you, Sue, for inventing this wonderful wheel!  Thank you for leading me down this wonderful path.

I once saw a license plate:  IDV8.

Not me!  Never!  I'm happy exactly where I am!