Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ah! The CGC.....

  
Kathleen writes that Zachary is about to begin training for the CGC (Canine Good Citizen) .....again!

Take heart, Kathleen!  Lily took the CGC five times.

Of those 5 attempts, she actually passed three and failed twice.  As a CGC evaluator myself, I know that there are CGCs and then there are CGCs.  And I didn't want Lily to pass just because all the planets happened to be aligned.

One of my most memorable recollections of this part of Lily's training was her first "3-minutes Out of Sight of the Owner".

I have often said that Lily is a "mama's girl" and being out of my sight is difficult for her.  Talk about Zen!

On this occasion, this was the final part of the test, which was being held at a large public venue with many many dogs.  I was not confident of success, but I bravely left her with the tester and walked 20' away behind a curtain.  In retrospect, I realize that she could see my reflection behind the sheet.

After about a minute and a half, Lily had had all the Zen she could handle and the next thing I knew, she was headed across the field to me.....running at full speed with the volunteer tester in purely horizontal mode and surely without a foot on the ground.

Was she ever surprised!!!


Sue observed one of Lily's other CGC "failures".  This one Sue attributed to handler error.  She said it was ME....uptight and prissy....sending all sorts of messages to Lily.

What is it about tests that make US uptight and prissy?  Relax, kid.  Relax and enjoy.


Anyway, I have changed my approach to the CGC.  Too bad they charge to administer the test.  It's something we should evaluate throughout the life of our dogs.


Kathleen, good luck at the library.  I can't imagine anyone passing by Zachary without reaching out to him for a big cuddle.